Probiotics Comparison Chart
| Essential Blend Probiotics
by Jigsaw Health
| Primal Defense®
by Garden of Life
| Primal Defense® ULTRA
by Garden of Life
|Number of active bacteria or colony-forming units (CFU) per serving||25 billion 1||Less than 1 billion 2||5 billion|
|Quantity per bottle||90||90||90|
|Suggested use||1 capsule per day||3 caplets per day||3 capsules per day|
|Number of days supplied||90 days||30 days||30 days|
|Price per bottle||$39.97||$26.04 3||$30.34 3|
|Cost per day||$0.44||$0.87||$1.01|
|Source of bacteria||Human||HSOs (Soil)||HSOs (Soil)|
|Delivery||Vegetarian Capsules||Caplets||Vegetarian Capsules|
|Number of bacteria strains 4|| 5 proven and known “friendly” bacteria strains
||12 mostly “friendly” bacteria strains||13 mostly “friendly” bacteria strains|
|Contains Saccharomyces boulardii? 5||No||No||Yes|
| Contains fructoogliosaccharides
(FOS, aka prebiotics)? 6
|Contains additives and fillers?||No||Yes||No|
| Refrigeration suggested for the
most beneficial probiotics?
|Container||Amber glass||White plastic||Amber glass|
- Contained 38 billion active bacteria when tested on 5/31/05 by an independent lab, Silliker (report #11085).
- As tested by two independent labs and reported in “Probiotics: Are Enough in Your Diet?”, Consumer Reports, July 2005.
- Average of prices at the first six online retailers in an online search of Primal Defense and Primal Defense ULTRA on 7/16/10.
- Fewer strains of known, proven good bacteria in high potency are far more effective than more than a handful of strains—and greater numbers of strains introduce the possibility of a bad strain or a bad reaction among the strains.
- According to Healthnotes.com, there have been at least nine cases of severe, invasive fungal infections in people who were treated with Saccharomyces boulardii.
- FOS or prebiotics are indigestible starches that promote the growth of bacteria and, in some people, bad bacteria which can cause multiple gastrointestinal issues.
Essential Blend Probiotics are a highly effective way to restore intestinal flora and alleviate digestive disorders.