Magnesium Comparison Chart
| Jigsaw Health
by Purdue Products L.P.
| Mag-Tab SR®
by Niche Pharmaceuticals
|Form of magnesium 1||Dimagnesium malate||Magnesium chloride||Magnesium lactate|
|Source of magnesium 2|| Albion Minerals
|Enteric coating? 3||No||Yes||No|
|Releases gradually as the body needs it?||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Contains vitamin B6 (pyridoxal-5-phosphate)? 6||Yes||No||No|
| Contains carnauba wax?
(Yes, the same thing you wax your car with)
|Contains diethyl phthalate? 7||No||Yes||No|
|Quantity||240 tablets (2 months)||60 tablets (1 month)||240 caplets (2 months)|
|Suggested use||4 tablets per day||2 tablets per day||4 caplets per day|
|Elemental magnesium per daily serving||500 mg||128 mg||336 mg|
|Meets Recommended Daily Allowance? 4||Yes||No||No|
|Cost per Month||$19.98||$13.39||$20.96|
|Cost per Day||$0.67||$0.45 ($1.76 for 500mg)||$0.70 ($1.13 for 500mg)|
- According to the National Institutes of Health, the form of magnesium is just as important as how much magnesium you’re getting. Cheaper forms, such as Oxide and Chloride, are poorly absorbed and quickly excreted from your body. Di-magnesium malate is one of the highest quality, most bioavailable form of magnesium available in the world.
- Albion Advanced Nutrition is the world’s leader in research and development of chelated minerals, and di-magnesium malate is one of their award-winning minerals. Choosing a reputable lab is important because it ensures the quality of the raw materials are safe and effective.
- Enteric coating can decrease bioavailability (Fine KD, et al. “Intestinal absorption of magnesium from food and supplements.” J Clin Invest, 88:296-402, 1991.)
- The RDA is the minimum required to avoid a deficiency — not the maximum amount required for good health. Most magnesium supplements cannot meet (let alone exceed) RDA because they will often produce and unwanted laxative effect. Jigsaw Magnesium w/SRT exceeds RDA to effectively replenish deficiency — without causing diarrhea.
- Unfortunately, calcium has been singled out as the most important mineral your body needs. But calcium cannot work without magnesium. So many supplement makers have added magnesium to their calcium products as an afterthought. Most of these calcium/magnesium combos use cheaper, less well absorbed forms of both minerals — and your body doesn’t get what it needs.
- Vitamin B6 works in concert with magnesium to reduce homocysteine levels — a marker for hypertension, heart disease, etc.
- Diethyl phthalate is a synthetic substance commonly used to make plastics more flexible. Since it’s not part of the chain of chemicals (polymers) that makes up plastic, it can leach out fairly easily. According to the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, a division of Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, little is known about what diethyl phthalate can do to you if you breathe, eat, or drink it, or if it touches your skin. In animal studies, exposure to diethyl phthalate has caused death, birth defects, and other health issues. Obviously, rats are not humans. But scientists don’t really know what prolonged exposure to diethyl phthalate can do to your health.
Jigsaw Magnesium w/SRT is an effective way to resolve magnesium deficiency symptoms and support health throughout the body.