Detoxification therapy for heavy metal toxicity may take a great deal of time (think months or even years) for the complete removal of all heavy metals from the body. In addition, some detoxification methods may have numerous adverse side effects as the metals are stirred up and flushed out of the body.
The most popular method is chelation therapy, which uses agents—either intravenously, transdermally, or orally—to draw out heavy metals by binding to them and eliminating them in fecal waste or urine. Chelation therapy is used by both conventional and alternative healthcare professionals.
Conventional medicines can be prescribed in order to assist the body in heavy metal detoxification. These medicines may cause depletion of certain nutrients. Following is a list of common conventional medicines that may be used for heavy metal toxicity:
- DMSA (Succimer) – Brand name Chemet®. An oral drug used for patients with lead poisoning. This medication will bond with lead and then be dissolved and passed through the urine. It is used for chelating mercury, but many believe it is not the best specific chelator of mercury. Adverse side affects include diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, and possible liver dysfunction.9
- Calcium EDTA (Edetate calcium disodium, ethylenediamine tetra-acetic acid) – A chelating agent used mostly for lead. Mildly effective against mercury, arsenic, and gold.10
- DMPS – DMPS is the strongest and most specific chelator of mercury. It is 10 times stronger than DMSA. It can be given intravenously or orally, but the newest and best method is transdermally, or through the skin. Trans-dermal DMPS (TD-DMPS) is a cream that is rubbed onto the underside of the arms and absorbed into the bloodstream. Dr. Rashid A. Buttar’s TD-DMPS protocol has cured Autistic patients.11 One significant aspect of Dr. Buttar’s protocol is that TD-DMPS can be applied every other day. IV and oral-use DMPS do not allow for such frequent treatments, and therefore do not as effectively promote the constant flushing of mercury and other heavy metals.
Note: Because TD-DMPS diminishes the necessary minerals and trace minerals from the body, our Essential Blend Multi Mineral was specially designed to be used on the TD-DMPS “off-days.”
Additional Information about Heavy Metal Toxicity
- Heavy Metal Toxicity Overview
- Common symptoms of heavy metal toxicity
- Common causes of heavy metal toxicity
- Help me choose a natural and alternative treatment for heavy metal toxicity
- Dietary and lifestyle recommendations that may help in the treatment of heavy metal toxicity
- Additional reading for heavy metal toxicity